Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trouble setting up Laptop to my Network
12-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Trouble setting up Laptop to my Network
Forgive my ignorance but I am new to setting up "networks" myself. Here's my situation. I have an older Compaq Presario 2500 laptop I inherited from my daughter by buying hers so she can get a better one for college. It was running great until a month ago. I used it for accessing auto forums and emails. Started when I warned "other" family member not to use IE browser due to the number of known hacking attacks done to IE. "USE Firefox" !!!! I do, Anyway long story short, she wouldn't listen. I was setting up all the virus software etc when she used it. It got hit with spyware, and ugly trojans. I had downloaded the trial NOD32 prior and helped alot. Before I could get the full version (before the trial expired), the damage was done. I had to format and reload Windows XP. No problem there. Had Windows XP SP1 with the new installation. Used my desktop and downloaded the SP1a and SP2. Then by transferring these files via smart drive, updated the laptop.
The problem is I lost the network connection to log onto our home network. The laptop has ALi Fast Infrared Controller ,
File Version 5.1.2536 (XPClient .....) Is this the way it connects to my home modum. I have Verizon Wireless DSL Modem Router GT704 WG.
When I look at Device Manager, under Other Devices, Network Controller, PCI Modem, and Video Controller (VFA Compatible) are all Question marked. And all 3 are Manufacture Unknown. Is the PCI Modem part of the problem? I looked for drivers ALi online and could not find it.
I need help? How do I get the laptop talking to wireless networks again? I had previously used it at wireless sites? Now its a dumb separated laptop.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
RE: Trouble setting up Laptop to my Network
go to HP's web site. look for drivers. Done. YAY!

Desktop PC
i7 Sandy Bridge
XFX 6950 x2 in Xfire
16GB's G.SKILL Ripjaws Series
2 300GB WD Raptor (6GB version) RAID 1
2 1TB hitachi HD's (storage)
Win7 Ultimate
12-06-2010, 06:25 PM
(12-06-2010 11:59 AM)killian101 Wrote:  go to HP's web site. look for drivers. Done. YAY!

But which drivers? Am I heading in the right direction for the ALi Infrared device? Is this the wireless connection?
12-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Go here Hp Site all it needs is your notebooks model and such. Then when you get to the downloads page download the drivers.

Donut
My Rig
  • i5 3570K 3.4Ghz
  • 8 Gigs DDR3 1600
  • 256Gig Samsung 830 SSD
  • 2x 1Tb Seagate Hard Disk
  • Gigabyte HD 7950 3Gb GDDR5
  • Windows 7 Home Pre. x64
  • Samsung 32inch HDTV 720p
  • MSI Z77A-GD65 Motherboard
  • Fractal Design R4 with Window
12-07-2010, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2010 01:11 AM by jmrec100.)
I went and downloaded drivers. Now it says something like can't do it because Net Framework is less than 2? ????? What does this mean?

Basically, How do I get this laptop to once again see my home verizon modem and any other wireless connection? I've gone to the local starbucks and used thier network. Now I know I can't even see it? What do I need to do?
12-07-2010, 05:21 AM
You have a really old version of the " net framework " program and you need to up-date to the latest version...Microsoft Net Framework.......on the right hand side you will see previous versions...3.0 and 3.5 I'd suggest you install them as well, 3.0 first, then 3.5, then the latest version.

"Computers are nothing more then toasters with an I.Q."
12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Have you run Windows Update yet on your computer? If you haven't, do so, choose the "Custom" option, and let it find all the updates that apply to your computer. You may luck out and have the wireless card driver come up as an option to download and install in the "Hardware, Optional" section.

There's also a "Software, Optional" section - these you don't have to install, but some of them (like .NET Framework or Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus) are desirable, and it's simpler to install it here than to download and install it manually.

And of course, install EVERYTHING that's listed as an Important or High Priority update.

Restart when it prompts you to. Then, after restarting, run Windows Update again. Repeat until it can't find any further important updates.
12-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I will do this when I can onto the internet. So far, I can't. Seems have trouble with the network connection too. I reformated the HD by reloading the Windows XP Operating system. It asked about "Do I want to reformat"? And I said yes. Now I think I should have used the restore disc and let it reformat that way. I went to go ahead and decided to do the reformat using the restore disc. Thought it would load the necessary files from that disc. But it won't run any of the files now. Looking for a program to run it.
12-19-2010, 10:34 PM
If I'm reading this correctly, what you've done is reinstalled Windows from a separate Windows XP CD. Then, when that didn't work, you tried to run the restore CD instead.

I'm curious what you mean by "won't run any of the files now" means. Are you:
- Booting into Windows, then trying to run the restore CD from Windows?
- Trying to boot from the restore CD to reinstall Windows, but the computer ignores the restore CD and starts the Windows you reinstalled recently?
- Able to successfully boot from the restore CD, but the restore CD encounters errors while trying to run?

I'll attack this from a different angle. Do you have a USB flash drive? If so, use a computer that's working to download the network card drivers for your laptop, place them on the USB flash drive, plug the flash drive into the laptop, and run the installer from the flash drive. That should restore network connectivity, and then you can visit Windows Update and the HP website to download and install the remaining drivers you need.
12-20-2010, 07:50 AM
(12-06-2010 12:00 AM)jmrec100 Wrote:  Forgive my ignorance but I am new to setting up "networks" myself. Here's my situation. I have an older Compaq Presario 2500 laptop I inherited from my daughter by buying hers so she can get a better one for college. It was running great until a month ago. I used it for accessing auto forums and emails. Started when I warned "other" family member not to use IE browser due to the number of known hacking attacks done to IE. "USE Firefox" !!!! I do, Anyway long story short, she wouldn't listen. I was setting up all the virus software etc when she used it. It got hit with spyware, and ugly trojans. I had downloaded the trial NOD32 prior and helped alot. Before I could get the full version (before the trial expired), the damage was done. I had to format and reload Windows XP. No problem there. Had Windows XP SP1 with the new installation. Used my desktop and downloaded the SP1a and SP2. Then by transferring these files via smart drive, updated the laptop.
The problem is I lost the network connection to log onto our home network. The laptop has ALi Fast Infrared Controller ,
File Version 5.1.2536 (XPClient .....) Is this the way it connects to my home modum. I have Verizon Wireless DSL Modem Router GT704 WG.
When I look at Device Manager, under Other Devices, Network Controller, PCI Modem, and Video Controller (VFA Compatible) are all Question marked. And all 3 are Manufacture Unknown. Is the PCI Modem part of the problem? I looked for drivers ALi online and could not find it.
I need help? How do I get the laptop talking to wireless networks again? I had previously used it at wireless sites? Now its a dumb separated laptop.

go here for drivers

Cool" no life til leather "