Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Netgear and Directv and Wireless
12-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Netgear and Directv and Wireless
So I have a 2wire ATT modem (upstairs) that also does wireless although its terrible. I have wired the house so i have cat 5 cabled downstairs where my directv is. I connect the cable straight into the directv receiver and no problem.

I just added a new Netgear 3700 wireless router. First although everyone says including ATT, that a wireless router wont work with with the 2wire unless i turn off the wireless part of the 2wire and configure the Netgear, it has worked from the start and no changes from me.

My new Asus laptop works perfectly in wireless mode and works perfectly when i connect directly to the Netgear router using a cable. When i connect the Netgear to the Directv, it wont connect to the internet.

1.Anybody have any clues what is happening? I dont know who to call, Directv, ATT or Netgear. The fact that everything is working without me having to do anything makes me think that something is incomplete? I can call ATT and they will assist but for a price. I dont want to call if everything but the directv is wrong

2. The 2wire recognizes that their is a third party router involved now and states it. Does this mean anything?

3. I am a wireless novice so i have some stupid questions? In order to log on the internet with wifi, i have setup a password. So i know no one can get on without it. My question is when the info is traveling between my laptop and the router, can the info be intercepted or is it being encrypted some way. Is that a factor of my internet security on my laptop?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2010, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2010 09:40 AM by JREwing78.)
RE: Netgear and Directv and Wireless
Your wi-fi connection is encrypted between your laptop (or the DirecTV receiver) and the router. So the information transmitted over the air is encrypted and therefore unable to be intercepted (you used WPA encryption, correct?)

As for the DirecTV unit, it may not be set to automatically obtain an IP address from the router (to use DHCP). Or, perhaps it is, but it isn't being provided one for some reason. Does it work plugged into the 2WIRE unit from AT&T?

If the Netgear router is configured as a router, and not as a access point, that could cause the issue (and, the indication you're getting from the 2WIRE unit).
12-19-2010, 12:34 PM
(12-18-2010 09:34 AM)JREwing78 Wrote:  Your wi-fi connection is encrypted between your laptop (or the DirecTV receiver) and the router. So the information transmitted over the air is encrypted and therefore unable to be intercepted (you used WPA encryption, correct?)
That is not correct. The information can still be intercepted, however at present there is no known trivial way that it can be decrypted. Anything broadcast via Wifi can be intercepted, and in the eventuality that a method is found to decrypt it, it could be read.

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.
12-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Euchre is correct. For the purposes of this discussion, however, the difference is academic.

They can intercept the signal all day long, but with WPA encryption enabled, whoever intercepts the signal can't read it or do anything with it. For all intents and purposes, they haven't intercepted anything.
12-21-2010, 02:01 PM
I solved the problem. As mentioned, having two routers doesnt work well. I was told it wouldnt work at all, but it did work except for the Directv issue. I talked to a computer tech guy and we set up the Netgear as a access point so now everything works perfectly including Directv

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the internet through the wireless seems to work slower as an access point than a router. If i do a internet speed test, the numbers are coming out slower than when i did it when the router was a router. No biggie, just curious.

The other issue that now that its no longer a router, the Netgear thinks its not connected to the internet and therefore cant upgrade its software. Everything works fine now so I dont know if software upgrade is an issue, but I dont like not being to do something
12-22-2010, 06:19 PM
You could alternately disable the routing on the 2Wire ATT modem, and then set up the Netgear to handle the routing. I've never tried that with one of these units, so I don't know how that would go.

I wouldn't sweat not being able to upgrade the Netgear's firmware. If it works, don't break it.
12-27-2010, 03:20 PM
I would rather use the Netgear as router. The only problem is that the ATT 2wire is upstairs and is connected using cat5 wire to my two kids rooms plus the Xbox 360 in another room upstairs and its connected to the Netgear router downstairs which is connected to my Directv as well as the acting as the wireless access point. I could bridge the ATT so its only a modem and put the Netgear upstairs as a wireless router and put a switcher downstairs. However, since everyone has a internet connection upstairs i need the wireless down stairs
08-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Make sure that both routers are not fighting to issue an IPaddress. make sure the router closest to your internet point is the DHCP server.
08-16-2011, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2011 07:31 AM by betamaxman.)
Remember, though it is great to let your netgear router update it's firmware via the internet, as with any router you can also upgrade the firmware manually. The only difference of course is you have to find the firmware download it and then log into the netgear via your browser and upgrade it from where the firmware upgrade file has been downloaded to. Manually is no more dangerous as per bricking your router than the automatic method.
http://support.netgear.com/app
I own the same router N600 WNDR3700. It can be important to keep your router updated, as just as it is important with your OS an updated router is usually a more secure router.