Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Redirecting to mobile sites on desktop!
03-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Redirecting to mobile sites on desktop!
Help! Recently, certain websites (Riteaid.com and OCregister.com) have been displaying on my desktop as mobile versions. While I can click at the bottom of the page to access the full site, it's annoying and other sites like vons.com aren't displaying properly due to the conflict.

Does anyone here know how to fix this problem? It is occuring in all of my browsers, (Firefox, IE9, Chrome, and Opera), so I'm assuming that it's a conflict within the Windows registry.

I'm using a Dell XPS730 with a Comcast Cable connection running Windows 7 professional 64bit.

Thanks,
Darryl
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
RE: Redirecting to mobile sites on desktop!
well-l-l-l mobile is mobile....desktop is desktop, they send the info differently so as to be able to be viewed differently according to the ability to view the info/

"Computers are nothing more then toasters with an I.Q."
03-28-2011, 06:53 PM
The only thing I can figure is that the browsers are sending some info from your computer to make the websites think it is a Mobile device ( I believe what Aerial was trying to get at )

Some people can read War and Peace and think that it's just another novel. Others can read the ingredients off of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. - Lex Luthor; Superman The Movie 1977 ( Script Date )
03-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Curious, have you gone to any of these web sites...have an account with them and in your preferences mabye kinda sorta selected mobile what ever??

03-30-2011, 11:36 PM
I've dealt with it once in the past, and the IT person I talked with hasn't gotten back to me. There was some sort of conflict in the registry settings.... something that had "mobi" in one of the codes somewhere, but I can't find it....
03-31-2011, 11:52 AM
The registry is not usually somewhere tech support sends folks to muck around. Unless Comcast gave you software that alters the way the system identifies itself to your browers, there's no way your browsers are all going to automatically identify as mobile versions. I wonder if the 'mobi' reference is actually part of the 'computer name' Comcast gives your system. (Aside from your IP, some ISP's systems add another identifier, which might look something like nola.comcast.net, meant to basically help their network management and would break down to mean something like New Orleans, LuisianA.)

Don't suppose you've ever tethered your computer to a cell phone for internet access, have you?

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.
03-31-2011, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2011 06:47 PM by Aerial9.)
Here's an interesting web site...hope you can view it correctly....window 7 displaying mobile pages...read through and at the bottom of the page are some interesting posts...