Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
gateway laptop wont boot up
04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
gateway laptop wont boot up
I bought a gateway laptop nv78 about 14 months ago, When i go to turn it on, the gateway logo appears, it says to enter f2 to enter setting. The computer freezes and it say "please wait". It wont boot in to windows. I took out the battery, ram, and harddrive. The only function works is after i restart the computer i push esc. and it list the computer specs. Then it freezes after pressing f2. Before my computer totally crashed 2 months ago i had to manually turn it off, the shutdown function would not work. Can anyone help me thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
RE: gateway laptop wont boot up
1, check to see if its under warrenty
2, did you try and flash the bios and it failed?
3, did you try to rebuild said laptop with the recovery cd's?
4, did the fan break
5, did you look in the BIOS's event log?
6, can you make cookies for me?
7, sounds like a bad motherboard to me...
8, forget the cookies, i want Pie

Desktop PC
i7 Sandy Bridge
XFX 6950 x2 in Xfire
16GB's G.SKILL Ripjaws Series
2 300GB WD Raptor (6GB version) RAID 1
2 1TB hitachi HD's (storage)
Win7 Ultimate
04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
A couple of things to try.
1. When you turn the computer on, listen, to see if you hear any short beeps. If so, this will tell you there is definetly a problem related to hardware>ie, memory, failing hard drive.
2. After you turn on the computer, keep tapping the F8 key until you see the safe mode menu and select safe mode and see if you can get there. If so, scan you hard drive for malware, or, restore the computer to an earlier time when you knew everything was working. Good luck.

He who leads by example...Has many followers.
04-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I want some Pie Big Grin

If you can get in to the BIOS and check the log you might want to change your boot up sequence so that the CDrom boots before the hard disk, get a copy of Ubuntu Live CD and Run it, You can run memtest to see if the ram is an issue and when you boot in to the accusal OS there should be a place to check the hard disk to see if there is bad sectors and such. If alls good there you should be able to gain access to the hard disk from the Live CD I would back up all data just in case. You might have to do a reinstall if some windows files got corrupt. Now if you cant get in to the BIOS then its a big possibility it is the motherboard, if that's the case then good luck, Ive tried ripping a notebook computer apart and it wasn't fun. Do what Killian said in number 1. Check to see if its under warranty. My moms Leveno notebook has a 2yr warranty on parts 1 yr on battery.

Donut
My Rig
  • i5 3570K 3.4Ghz
  • 8 Gigs DDR3 1600
  • 256Gig Samsung 830 SSD
  • 2x 1Tb Seagate Hard Disk
  • Gigabyte HD 7950 3Gb GDDR5
  • Windows 7 Home Pre. x64
  • Samsung 32inch HDTV 720p
  • MSI Z77A-GD65 Motherboard
  • Fractal Design R4 with Window