Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Verizon - Disable International Roaming on Iphone is not enough!
06-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Sad Verizon - Disable International Roaming on Iphone is not enough!
I am a long-time ATT Iphone user who just switched to Verizon Iphone when it was released. I have a Mexico plan which allows me to have voice service in Mexico using my regular minute allowance, as I travel to Mexico all the time. I always had my "Turn Off International Roaming" activated and I never was charged for data by ATT.

On my first bill from Verizon, I was charged international roaming, even though my "Turn off International Roaming" button was correctly set. After an hour on the phone with Verizon and multiple representatives, they finally decided that on the Verizon iphone, because it is CDMA and not GSM like ATT, you must additionally turn the "Cellular Data" to "off" (this is the setting above "Turn off International Roaming" in Settings - General - Network ) before entering Mexico or the data charges will add up, even though you never attempt to use data, and although you have turned off International roaming. (They say that since Mexico also uses CDMA, it is not recognized as "International" by the Iphone, so the phone continues to try to connect to receive data.)

Additionally, the dates that they say you used data are not necessarily correct because the Mexican phone company does not always send them on the same day of use. So I was charged for data roaming on a day that I wasn't even in Mexico!

Verizon did credit me for the charges that were inadvertently incurred and I do like their network better, but I believe that they should inform their Mexico Voice service customers that this additional setting is required.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2011, 06:19 PM
RE: Verizon - Disable International Roaming on Iphone is not enough!
Agreed. It's idiotic that it requires multiple settings to turn off all data connections on these phones. It should be ONE setting, and not buried deep somewhere that you'll never find without a manual.
06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
The 'international roaming' is about voice calls, and on cellular networks there is still a distinction between voice and data use and management. That's where the confusion comes in, not that there's two places to manage a data connection on a CDMA iPhone. On ATT's iPhone, being GSM its a bit different. There's an option to turn off 3G data, and another to turn off all cellular data. If you turn off the former and not the latter, you still can use data but it will be a much slower consumption.

People still haven't learned that smartphones use data even when you think 'you' are not using data. Data isn't just when YOU browse the web or get your email. Its when your phone checks for updates for all your apps automatically, when it checks IF you have email, when that cute 'free' game loads an ad, when your weather widget on your screen tells you the temperature has gone up one degree. I had someone ask me why those kinds of things use data, so I asked them where they thought that information came from. The words 'I don't know' told me they really had no idea what a smartphone really is, or what it does.

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.
06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Sorry to disagree, but I have traveled to about 20 countries of the world in the last few years and International Roaming is about data, not voice. My International Roaming has always been off, yet I have been able to make and receive voice calls (when I was with AT&T).
06-21-2011, 01:47 PM
You weren't using the same iPhone. GSM and CDMA work differently. Notice the lack of simultaneous voice and data on Verizon.

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.
06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Hence the reason, IMO, why Apple waited so long to release a CDMA version of the iPhone. People think an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone and more still simply have no idea of the vast differences of the two ( CDMA vs GSM ) types of mobile phone design.

It's the problem Apple is now forced to deal with after working so hard to make all their products so uniform by limiting iterations of the products .... people have gotten VERY used to all Apple produccts working the same.

Some people can read War and Peace and think that it's just another novel. Others can read the ingredients off of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. - Lex Luthor; Superman The Movie 1977 ( Script Date )