Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Laptop for a 13 year old
06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Laptop for a 13 year old
Looking for opinions on a laptop for my 13 year old daughter.
Don't want to spend too much, because of her age.
I bought the DELL as an open box that a customer didn't want after buying on line for $330 after returning the ACER that is also linked.
The refurbished ASUS would be my choice for my self but after taxes that is approaching $500 and I want to keep it below $400 as much as I can.
Reviews however have the DELL with a poor battery life. The FS specs have it not having a LED display but it is clearly indicated on the DELLs box as being so.
Only con other than the battery life is ddr2 ram, but then there are 4 gigs of it. The ACER and Toshiba have processors that are kind of net book grade but then this should give them lots of battery time. I build my own desktops but haven't used laptops much so any suggestions and help would be appreciated. I won't be giving her the DELL laptop till Sunday so any advise will be appreciated.

ASUS
DELL
ACER
Toshiba
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2011, 06:56 PM
RE: Laptop for a 13 year old
If she only takes the laptop out of the house occasionally, battery life is almost irrelevant. I'm now on my third or fourth laptop now, and while occasionally it's been running off battery power, usually it's tethered to its charger. And, my (purely theoretical) 13 year old daughter's not leaving the house with the laptop. ***** NO!

The ASUS would've been my choice too, had it been for myself. The Core i3 is a pretty nice processor.

This Dell is not the most sturdy laptop out there, but if she cares for it it should be useful for 4-5 years. About 2-3 years in, it would be desirable to upgrade the RAM to help it keep up with new, more sophisticated software. Otherwise, it should work fine.

The AMD processor in the Acer and Toshiba is weak sauce by comparison. It's meant for very light general use. Your daughter's needs may well exceed that, particularly if she uses it for creative work.
06-22-2011, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 07:29 PM by betamaxman.)
Thanks for the reply.
I think the Dell might be a no go with my daughter. Just noticed no web cam. How could I have missed that? I thought it was standard now. Any way might have to get the acer just to get the silly web cam. The ASUS is on line only, I am so screwed.
06-23-2011, 08:25 AM
hahah...no web cam. Kids.
http://us.store.creative.com/category/19...ameras.htm

Desktop PC
i7 Sandy Bridge
XFX 6950 x2 in Xfire
16GB's G.SKILL Ripjaws Series
2 300GB WD Raptor (6GB version) RAID 1
2 1TB hitachi HD's (storage)
Win7 Ultimate
06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
I would think no webcam on a laptop would be a GOOD thing for a 13 year old daughter. Does the term 'sexting' mean anything to you? If not, ask your 13 year old - she's probably heard of it. If you aren't careful, and she's got a cell phone or computer of any type with a camera on it, she could end up DOING it. Guys will talk a naive 13 yr old girl into amazingly bad things. If you want to know more, do a search on Google News.

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.
06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
I know all about the bad things the internet can do. This is a terrible thing but fortunately not a common thing. Internet + web cam does not automatically add up to sexting. No more than school dances automatically adds up to crack and ecstasy use.
I do appreciate your concern though and believe me the dangers you mention are noted.
She won't be using the pc in any local that such a thing could happen, at least not at 13. Her interest is skyping with her friends.
06-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Go with Killian's idea with a separate webcam. It'll be of far superior quality to those that come with any $400 laptop.