Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DVD Player makes TV speakers Hum
08-21-2011, 12:02 PM
DVD Player makes TV speakers Hum
I recently purchased a new TV stand, so I had to re-connect all the wires back up. I started from working from where the cable comes in from the wall.

Long story short...ever since I re-connected everything back up whenever I use my Sony DVD Player, it makes this loud humming noise coming out of the TV speakers, which never happened before.

I replaced the red, yellow, white cables; thinking those may have been bad.

I even hooked up a different TV. Same problem.

Did I do something wrong with the wiring or is it possible my Sony DVD player? Oh, I tried to run one of those cleaner things in the DVD player.

Anyone with any suggestions?

T-T
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2011, 08:07 PM
RE: DVD Player makes TV speakers Hum
Reposition the component cables away from other wiring, particuarly speaker wires. You can try moving them around while it's playing to see if you can pinpoint what's causing the buzz.
08-25-2011, 06:58 PM
kk there JR..sounds like it may be " unshielded wires "

"Computers are nothing more then toasters with an I.Q."
08-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Did you perhaps change where the various things were plugged in?
Is everything plugged into some kind of surge protection?
Are you using an adapter on any of the power plugs to go from a 3 prong (grounded) plug to 2 prong (ungrounded)?
A hum is most often induced because of a poorly grounded or shielded power connection.

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.
09-19-2011, 07:10 AM
I would try the following, unplug the A/V Cables from the DVD Player and switch to the DVD Input. Do you still hear the HUM? If so you know it's not the player.

Now unplug the cables from the TV, Do you still hear the HUM? Might be a problem with your TV Sad << Not likely

Hopping that the HUM goes away when the A/V Cables are disconnected from your TV, I'll ask the following, why are you not using a Digital Audio connection? This should eliminate your issues... If you need to stick with Analog audio, you might need to get a shielding jacket for the cables.