Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
250 gb of data use per month????
09-14-2011, 07:12 AM
250 gb of data use per month????
Trying to figure out how much 250 gb of data is? Thinking of switching our Internet provider to at&t and they have a 250 gb data cap per month. If you go over... you pay! Can anyone give me an idea if this is a decent amount and whether we're likely to go over.
We are a family of four -- two teenage boys who like to do some gaming online and YouTube. I'm on Internet throughout the day... husband uses the computer a bit in the evening when he's home from work. We don't download/watch movies online. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2011, 07:51 AM
RE: 250 gb of data use per month????
For most users, it is effectively unlimited.

My wife and I use a Verizon wireless broadband for about four and a half years now. First we had a 3G modem, and now we have a 4G LTE modem for our main internet at the house, since we live out in the country and can't get cable or DSL. We plug the modem into a cradlepoint router. Our network has a desktop PC, and personal laptop, and our two work laptops.

We frequently work from home, and use the internet quite a bit when we're not working. Our plan gives us 10GB per month, and then charges $10/gb for anything we use beyond the first 10 gigs. I have never had too much trouble staying within the 10GB allowance. That's right, 10 GB per month.

There is one catch though... we don't buy/rent from the iTunes music store, and we don't use netflix streaming. Those activities would probably put us over. Each of those movies is somewhere between 2-4 gigs, that can help you estimate how much data you might use.

Also, the bitrates of the twitlive stream are listed on the buttons on live.twit.tv, so you can estimate how much data you would use based on how much time you stream the twit live stream. I always pick the BG 400kbps stream just to try and reduce my data usage as much as possible if I do happen to watch live. Generally, I just use the 56kbps audio only stream (many hours per month).

-SF

Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified.
09-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Switching from who/what to AT&T? And to what, DSL or UVerse?

Anyway, from the usage you describe about your household, you shouldn't even worry about it. The big things that suck down bandwidth are downloading & streaming movies (e.g. Netflix), downloading tons of music, and Torrents (and if you've never heard of this, I'll bet your boys have, but if they are smart about it and don't over-use it, you'll still be fine).

Tips for being secure!
Try to avoid making us pull out a LMGTFY...and be specific!
09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
thanks everyone for the insight. from what i've heard and read online, looks like we'll be okay.
switching from Time Warner (Internet and Cable provider) and going to at&T Uverse.
09-15-2011, 01:02 PM
I use ~40-80gb a month, and I have Netflix and do pretty much ALL of my TV watching via the internet. I also stream audio (mainly TWiT, yes), and like to watch YouTube videos. If I had someone else watching videos, I think I might hit 100+gb a month. If you've got kids, watch out for them using file sharing like Limewire or Bittorrent - those can drive your usage through the roof (aside from *other concerns*). Gaming can add a fair bit to it, too.

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.