Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ads playing in background
10-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Ads playing in background
Hi, This is driving me crazy! I have ads constantly playing throughout the day in the background on my Lenovo Lap top. I have run Nod 32, Antispyware and Malawarebytes plus a trojan remover and it's still there!

We can't find this thing. Can anyone suggest anything else? ThanksHuh

AllyD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
RE: Ads playing in background
How long has this been going on? Around that point did you or another download any new software or "updates"? These ads are playing on what? A browser window? If so, which browser? Have you tried a different browser?

Do you backup your computer on a regular basis?
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
(10-12-2011 09:54 AM)mike_in_md Wrote:  How long has this been going on? Around that point did you or another download any new software or "updates"? These ads are playing on what? A browser window? If so, which browser? Have you tried a different browser?

Do you backup your computer on a regular basis?

Hi, This started just over a week ago. No new software downloaded but I updated Firefox to 7 then 8 and all the regular updates like Acrobat etc. I back up often. I use firefox all the time. These ads are playing in the background off and on on my laptop. What should I try next?

AllyD
10-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Are the ads in the web browser or do they show up when Firefox is closed?

What are the ads for?
10-12-2011, 12:15 PM
That's just it! They don't POP up! You can't see them and can't find them. They are not visible and are only heard not seen.
10-12-2011, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 04:10 PM by Charlotte.)
From your answer, I assume that you don't accidentally have a browser open, but minimized. However, I would appreciate your checking that, so we will know what your situation is.

Do you have any input from a TV, radio, or other appliance? Also, do you have a tuner/capture card in your computer that could be playing in the background. Some tuner cards include radio tuners, too, so it could be picking up a radio signal.

I noticed, in this thread, that you have been recording some videos and have problems with the audio on your Lenovo. That makes me wonder if the two issues are connected. If you have any kind of setup that could be playing audio in the background, it might be turning off the audio from the videos you mentioned in the other thread at the same time it is playing the background audio.

I have another question that seems obvious at first, but can be overlooked when you are focusing on a possible computer problem. Do you always use that computer in the same place? If yes, then is it possible that a closeby appliance is actually the one you're hearing? I don't mean to be rude; but, sometimes these things can trick you into thinking it's coming from one source, when it's actually another, especially if it's a low-volume sound.

An audio-only ad seems like such a strange thing, even for a virus to do, that I think we need to rule out these other possibilities before making changes to your system.

[edit] One other quick thought: if you have any kind of radio signal coming into your computer, it may be picking up signals only when the computer is located where it can pick up the signal. So, have you noticed where you are at the times that you hear the audio? If that turns out to be the problem, you may need to insulate your computer from the signals. I'm no expert at that, so I'll let some of the others help you out.
10-12-2011, 04:58 PM
This seems odd, nothing pops up? Have you tried a ad blocker?
10-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Please perform a scan with F-Secure Online Scanner
Follow the directions in the F-Secure page for proper Installation.
1. Click on the link "F-Secure Online Scanner Next Generation Beta".
2. You may receive an alert on the address bar at this point to install the ActiveX control.
3. Click on that alert and then click "Insall ActiveX component".
4. Read the license agreement and click "Accept".
5. Click "Custom Scan" and be sure the following are checked:

* Scan whole System
* Scan all files
* Scan whole system for rootkits
* Scan whole system for spyware
* Scan inside archives
* Use advanced heuristics

6. When the scan completes, click the "I want to decide item by item" button.
7. For each item found, Select "Disinfect" and click "Next".
8. When done, click the "Show Report" button, then copy and paste the entire report into your next reply.

You may have a Vundo infection. Some variants of this malware will hide certain entries in a hijackthis log to prevent detection so I need you to rename it. Please open the HijackThis Folder. Find the file HijackThis.exe, right click on the file and select rename. Type Analyze.exe and hit Enter. Double-click on Analyze.exe (which is still HijackThis) and post back with a new log.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2011, 06:10 PM
(10-14-2011 10:24 PM)JohnRocks Wrote:  Please perform a scan with F-Secure Online Scanner
Follow the directions in the F-Secure page for proper Installation.
1. Click on the link "F-Secure Online Scanner Next Generation Beta".
2. You may receive an alert on the address bar at this point to install the ActiveX control.
3. Click on that alert and then click "Insall ActiveX component".
4. Read the license agreement and click "Accept".
5. Click "Custom Scan" and be sure the following are checked:

* Scan whole System
* Scan all files
* Scan whole system for rootkits
* Scan whole system for spyware
* Scan inside archives
* Use advanced heuristics

6. When the scan completes, click the "I want to decide item by item" button.
7. For each item found, Select "Disinfect" and click "Next".
8. When done, click the "Show Report" button, then copy and paste the entire report into your next reply.

You may have a Vundo infection. Some variants of this malware will hide certain entries in a hijackthis log to prevent detection so I need you to rename it. Please open the HijackThis Folder. Find the file HijackThis.exe, right click on the file and select rename. Type Analyze.exe and hit Enter. Double-click on Analyze.exe (which is still HijackThis) and post back with a new log.

John, with all due respect, if a Vundo infection is that bad to require what you say to TRY to get it removed, the OP is probably better off doing a clean install of Windows. You just do NOT know for sure what other typoes of nasties Vundo let in.

Some people can read War and Peace and think that it's just another novel. Others can read the ingredients off of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. - Lex Luthor; Superman The Movie 1977 ( Script Date )
10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Thank you guys for all of your help. As of early yesterday I haven't heard these Ads in the background anymore. I did run the F-Secure and it found only 3 Tracking cookies. But then I cleaned up my downloads and stuff and it hasn't happened since. That was frustrating but thanks again to everyone.Smile