Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Blocking neighbor's Wifi
01-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Blocking neighbor's Wifi
Does anybody have a way to block a neighbors wifi signel? I have a 15 year-old who has found some nasty sites that I don't want him on. I use Opendns, but he has found ways around this. I'm thinking that he is piggy-backing off the neighbors WEP encrypted signals. I have talked with him about the consequences, but that doesn't seem to be working. I can talk to the neighbors and offer to setup WPA but until I can get the time, any ideas fellow TWiTs?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 08:53 AM by zero.)
RE: Blocking neighbor's Wifi
Setting up WPA means having to change access settings for all of your neighbours' other devices that they may have connected. As an alternate solution, you could simply block the MAC Address of your computer - which is done via their router screen. Here is an example I quickly found for Linksys. It's more or less the same idea for every router.

Or you could get Net Nanny or something similar.
01-05-2012, 10:13 AM
(01-05-2012 08:33 AM)zero Wrote:  Setting up WPA means having to change access settings for all of your neighbours' other devices that they may have connected. As an alternate solution, you could simply block the MAC Address of your computer - which is done via their router screen. Here is an example I quickly found for Linksys. It's more or less the same idea for every router.

Or you could get Net Nanny or something similar.

Thanks, that would work if the neighbors were using my wifi, I'll give it a try.
01-05-2012, 02:33 PM
if your kid is using the neighbors wifi then its open and not secure etc, so why dont u just pull the wifi card and plug Ethernet in otherwise your neighbor is in control of his wifi and not much you can do about it other way is to install a program to block sites etc

Cool" no life til leather "
01-05-2012, 06:05 PM
He may still be using your own network. Filtering, even via open opendns, is not terribly effective. Even enterprise grade tools will let things through. The internet is just too big to index and block everything reliably.

Unfortunately, monitoring his activities and imposing consequences is still one of the best ways to deal with it.

-SF

Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified.
01-07-2012, 01:38 AM
I think you should access your neighbor’s router and turn off the SSID broadcast and better off getting back to basic parenting and set and enforce some rules.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2012, 01:55 PM
(01-07-2012 01:38 AM)JohnRocks Wrote:  I think you should access your neighbor’s router and turn off the SSID broadcast

If the kid figured out how to get around OpenDNS, finding the hidden SSID of the neighbor's router won't be a difficult task. Not to mention, the neighbor will be constantly befuddled when friends want to use his wi-fi.