Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What does EV and 1X mean on Verizon Phones
07-08-2010, 07:12 AM
What does EV and 1X mean on Verizon Phones
I'm on ATT right now without a smart phone and think I want to switch to Verizon and move to a HTC Incredible. I borrowed my wife's phone to check the signal in my office but discovered that I have no idea what ev and 1x means. I also found out after 3 customer service calls that no one at Verizon knows either.

I'm just trying to figure out if I have a descent 3g data signal at my home and office. My wife's phone is not a smart-phone so I can't test the data speed by just trying it. Can someone tell me how to tell if my signal is good for data?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2010, 10:29 AM
RE: What does EV and 1X mean on Verizon Phones
a little google...
http://www.google.com/search?q=verizon+e...tartPage=1

Desktop PC
i7 Sandy Bridge
XFX 6950 x2 in Xfire
16GB's G.SKILL Ripjaws Series
2 300GB WD Raptor (6GB version) RAID 1
2 1TB hitachi HD's (storage)
Win7 Ultimate
07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, Google was the first thing I did but I couldn't find an answer that led me to an understanding. Let me make my question more specific.

If I see 1x!! (with ! being signal bars).. I have a basic non 3g connection = not good for data

If I see 1x!!
ev!! I have the high speed 3g connection = good for data

Is that right?

Also, the Verizon customer service reps asked if the 1x and ev were in capital letters, but couldn't tell me what that meant. This seems to slightly more confusing that it has to be.
07-08-2010, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2010 02:21 PM by Raen7.)
The Verizon reps you spoke to must've been idiots, or misunderstood, because I've asked the same question of a service rep. before and received a very clear & concise answer. Heck, it's even in your phone's documentation if you bother to read it - some phones even have an "Icon Glossary" under the 'Settings&Tools' -> 'Phone Info' menu.

Tips for being secure!
Try to avoid making us pull out a LMGTFY...and be specific!
07-08-2010, 03:11 PM
(07-08-2010 10:48 AM)sagefiv Wrote:  Also, the Verizon customer service reps asked if the 1x and ev were in capital letters, but couldn't tell me what that meant. This seems to slightly more confusing that it has to be.
Not sure why the reps were asking about capital letters, but why must people abandon all logic and reason if they are using technology?
If I asked you to type those two letters in capital letters, wouldn't you type them EV?
If I asked you what the opposite of capital letters is, wouldn't you say lower case?
If I asked you to type those two letters in lower case, wouldn't you type them ev?

When dealing with technology, don't assume it's more complex than you can understand. That's what leads to the brain shutdown that results in discussions like the above - and why you feel stupid dealing with technology.

The EV letters stand for the higher speed EVDO connection for data that CDMA carriers offer. 1x represents the older, slower data or non-data oriented connections. That's as simply as it can be put. Exact representations of this information may vary per phone, hence why its good to consult your particular phone model's manual.

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.
07-09-2010, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2010 07:17 AM by sagefiv.)
(07-08-2010 02:21 PM)Raen7 Wrote:  The Verizon reps you spoke to must've been idiots, or misunderstood, because I've asked the same question of a service rep. before and received a very clear & concise answer. Heck, it's even in your phone's documentation if you bother to read it - some phones even have an "Icon Glossary" under the 'Settings&Tools' -> 'Phone Info' menu.

Thanks for the answer! You are a freaking genius. I asked three CS reps and got answers like it depends on what phone you have and crap like that. Sorry but I don't have the manual for a phone my wife purchased before we were engaged. I thought this might warrant a two sentence answer. Sorry to have bothered you
(07-08-2010 03:11 PM)Euchre Wrote:  
(07-08-2010 10:48 AM)sagefiv Wrote:  Also, the Verizon customer service reps asked if the 1x and ev were in capital letters, but couldn't tell me what that meant. This seems to slightly more confusing that it has to be.
Not sure why the reps were asking about capital letters, but why must people abandon all logic and reason if they are using technology?
If I asked you to type those two letters in capital letters, wouldn't you type them EV?
If I asked you what the opposite of capital letters is, wouldn't you say lower case?
If I asked you to type those two letters in lower case, wouldn't you type them ev?

When dealing with technology, don't assume it's more complex than you can understand. That's what leads to the brain shutdown that results in discussions like the above - and why you feel stupid dealing with technology.

The EV letters stand for the higher speed EVDO connection for data that CDMA carriers offer. 1x represents the older, slower data or non-data oriented connections. That's as simply as it can be put. Exact representations of this information may vary per phone, hence why its good to consult your particular phone model's manual.

Wow
07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
EV = EVDO
1x = 1xRTT

EVDO is the 3G data connection. There are two EVDO modes, REV.0 and REV.A (two different revisions). REV.A is newer, has lower ping times, and slightly higher speeds. Both are plenty fast for a phone connection. EV is displayed when the phone is in either EVDO mode. EVDO speeds are usually ~1 megabit, give or take, depending on signal quality. It can be as low as 400kbps or as high as 2.5 mbps (real world).

1XRTT is the older 2G data mode. In the real world, it's about twice as fast as an old 56k dialup modem.

-SF

Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified.
07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
FWIW if anything at all, this isn't specific to just AT&T. I'm on Sprint and have the same two icons. Usually have EV but do occasionally have 1X.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-25-2011, 10:46 PM
1X also means it's running slow as heck. I have a new HTC Rezound and at 11:30 I could only conect at 315kb/s. And the 4G symbol was not on. I often connect my pc to phone at 100Mb/s. But it is 11:30 and Verizon is obviously jacking with thier network.. and took 4G out of service. They are suppose to wait until after midnight to do maintenance.. And plus, thanksgiving weekend is a big no no.. Should be a moretorem this weeking unless there is some huge ***** emergency. My guess is, there is no emergency. Just them waiting until midnight or close to it, and starting early on some maintenance. Either way, they should be waiting much later.. like 2am. Especially on a Friday night, when people are up, and when it is a Holiday weekend. I know.. I am a Sr. Telecom Engineer. I know how business is suppose to operate. Heck I write guidelines for these guys to follow during their maintenance. for the most part anyway... the high level stuff.
11-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Notice that the last posts on this article prior to yours, Chad, were well over a year ago. I'm pretty sure the original poster isn't going to be reading it.