Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
will a sound bar help movie dialog?
04-29-2012, 12:11 PM
will a sound bar help movie dialog?
I am very happy with my 55" Vizio, except for hearing dialog. I can play a netflix movie on my laptop and hear every word very clearly. But the same movie on the TV results in background sound overwhelming the dialog. This does not happen with ordinary TV shows, news, etc., but in those cases, the performer's microphones are probably better or closer to the mouth.

But in movies, with boom mikes, the annoying music often drowns out the dialog. I called Vizio and they walked me through a sound setting that helped, but not enough.

If I popped for a nice sound bar, can I somehow turn down the music? Or turn up the dialog?

Perhaps this can't be done, but this is so frustrating.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2012, 08:56 PM
RE: will a sound bar help movie dialog?
A soundbar probably wouldn't help a whole lot, mostly because its not a proper surround sound. In movies with proper surround sound, most of the dialog comes from the center channel - which in a better surround sound system you can adjust separately for volume. cheaper surround sound systems - including most sound bars - can't usually do that. There's still going to be some sounds other than dialog in the center channel, so this isn't a perfect solution. Also, TV and movies are shot with roughly the same equipment these days, so the problem isn't that, its the composition.

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.
04-29-2012, 09:09 PM
When watching movies, and good tv shows, sound is just as important as the picture. You need to invest in an appropriate sound system.
04-29-2012, 09:48 PM
(04-29-2012 08:56 PM)Euchre Wrote:  A soundbar probably wouldn't help a whole lot, mostly because its not a proper surround sound.

Thanks. I figure a sound bar would only make it louder, not better. I'm a 73 year old widower living alone, and have no real appreciation for music. I just want to know what the devil they are saying. As noted, I have no problems discerning dialog on ordinary shows, news, sports, all is fine.

It's just movies, mostly those shot outdoors. I guess they use better mikes or composition with indoor movies.