Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An error has occurred in the script on this page
07-05-2012, 08:48 PM
An error has occurred in the script on this page
In the last few days I keep getting that message, followed by "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? What is wrong? My operating system is Windows 7.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2012, 11:04 PM
RE: An error has occurred in the script on this page
Be more specific. A LOT more specific.
07-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Curious...is that message coming from Internet Explorer???

"Computers are nothing more then toasters with an I.Q."
07-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Or, a better question, do you have a web browser open while you're getting this message (more than likely, yes)?

It's a warning that the website you're on is taking a long time to process for some reason (it could be hung in a loop, for instance). That error message is supposed to assist you in closing a troublesome website (not necessarily malicious) without crashing your web browser.

Clear your cache in your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc). If that doesn't work, do a full reset of Internet Explorer (or, create a new profile in Firefox).
07-11-2012, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 09:52 AM by John John.)
(07-07-2012 05:56 AM)JREwing78 Wrote:  Or, a better question, do you have a web browser open while you're getting this message (more than likely, yes)?

It's a warning that the website you're on is taking a long time to process for some reason (it could be hung in a loop, for instance). That error message is supposed to assist you in closing a troublesome website (not necessarily malicious) without crashing your web browser.

Clear your cache in your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc). If that doesn't work, do a full reset of Internet Explorer (or, create a new profile in Firefox).

Thanks for your advice. I have Internet Explorer open while I'm getting this message. The message occurs in multiple web sites, but I would say that it occurs more in Craigslist than any other site. How do I clear my cache?
07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
If this is happening in your browser, I'd bet money it's nothing you can do anything about. The browser's having trouble rendering something because of an issue on the "other side" of the screen - something that will have to be fixed by the site's web manager or something like that. When I get those - and I think everyone does from time to time - I just tell it "No", I do not want to continue running the script, and the error goes away. I can't think of a single time when I've been able to tell anything was off or different in the page once the error left.

As long as I'm betting money, I'd be willing to bet that, in most of these cases, the script that's causing the problem has to do with ads.

Blog: www.CreakyGeek.com
On Twitter: jan001
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2012, 06:06 PM
(07-11-2012 01:51 PM)Jan Wrote:  As long as I'm betting money, I'd be willing to bet that, in most of these cases, the script that's causing the problem has to do with ads.

Quoted for truth. I love using AdBlock Plus with Firefox, because all of those annoying, power-sucking, bandwidth-sucking ads go away. It's awesome.

(07-11-2012 09:49 AM)John John Wrote:  I have Internet Explorer open while I'm getting this message. The message occurs in multiple web sites, but I would say that it occurs more in Craigslist than any other site. How do I clear my cache?

Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Browsing History -> Delete

Also, to completely reset Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset
07-11-2012, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 09:36 PM by John John.)
(07-11-2012 06:06 PM)JREwing78 Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 01:51 PM)Jan Wrote:  As long as I'm betting money, I'd be willing to bet that, in most of these cases, the script that's causing the problem has to do with ads.

Quoted for truth. I love using AdBlock Plus with Firefox, because all of those annoying, power-sucking, bandwidth-sucking ads go away. It's awesome.

(07-11-2012 09:49 AM)John John Wrote:  I have Internet Explorer open while I'm getting this message. The message occurs in multiple web sites, but I would say that it occurs more in Craigslist than any other site. How do I clear my cache?

Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Browsing History -> Delete

Also, to completely reset Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset

Thank you, thank you. This script error message was occurring way too frequently. I took your advice and completely reset IE and the problem seems to have completely gone away.
07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
I didn't realize it was that bad in IE (again? still?) - I've used Firefox so long I hardly use IE at all except for a couple of things we have to do at work that only work in IE. Good paths to know about.

John John, depending on the sites you visit, how you handle your computer's "hygiene" (removing spyware, etc.), those will probably start creeping back, especially the ones that are associated with badly coded ads. Just be vigilant. Ain't working with computers great? Wink

Blog: www.CreakyGeek.com
On Twitter: jan001
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user