Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how do I disable windows 7 compatibility check upgrading from Vista to 7?
07-16-2012, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2012 12:28 PM by White and Nerdy.)
how do I disable windows 7 compatibility check upgrading from Vista to 7?
I am trying to upgrade my wifes computer from

Windows Vista Home Premium

to

Windows 7 Home Premium

(am hoping I can do this without whiping her stuff out)

its an e-machine (not sure which model. I am using a 3 home user license to get her upgraded)

When the Compatibility check runs, it stops saying itunes needs to be deauthorized. Ok, so I deauthorize it, and same thing happens, says itunes neeeds to be deauthorized.

so how do I skip this compatibility process so I can get this install to run?
I know itunes is compatible with windows 7 just run already!! lol
been googling all morning for the "direct" answer to this question. I've found several people who have asked it, but nobody has said in any of these sites I've read how to actually bypass the compatibility check during install. regardless of what could be causing it, why doesn't someone just answer the question instead of answering with waht could be causing it?

Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6-1350us
desktop: GA-M68MT-S2 AM3 socket motherboard 3.10 Ghz 4GB RAM
Acer G235H monitor, GeForce 8400GS graphics
SB Audigy sound card
2 sATA HDD's 500 & 300, sATA 24x CD writer
Network Linksys EA4500 router
My facebook profile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
RE: how do I disable windows 7 compatibility check upgrading from Vista to 7?
I'm not sure if you can disable the check since I never run upgrades. Have you tried to boot from CD and upgrade from there? Or just take note of where you iTunes library files are and uninstall iTunes and re-install after upgrade.
Find all posts by this user
07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah I'd second that -- backup your iTunes lib/stuff and uninstall it. Of course to properly uninstall it, you have to uninstall the like 5-6 things that Apple felt the need to install with it, in a specific order, so check the Apple help doc for that... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925 (for XP).

Tips for being secure!
Try to avoid making us pull out a LMGTFY...and be specific!
07-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Hello Tom. I just completed the exact same upgrade using the same "Family Pack" you are trying to use. I suspect with your blind condition you are missing an option. At the very beginning of the upgrade, there are two options. One is to just install Windows 7 and the other is to first run the compatibility check. It sounds like you are running the compatibility check. Start over and run the first option of just install.
07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Good point. I don't know if he's using JAWS or some other screen reader, but it wouldn't be the first time an option would be difficult to access in Windows for vision-impaired users. I had a remote-support session with a blind user the other day that highlighted just how good, and awful, the current state of screen reader technology is.