Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mountain Lion 10.8 not shutting down
07-27-2012, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 04:55 AM by MrLex.)
Mountain Lion 10.8 not shutting down
In 6 (six) Languages:
Your Computer Restarted Because of a problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up

Did a clean install on my 2011 mini and Early 2008 Mac Pro.. Mini has an issue with a particular app.

However, the Mac Pro will NOT shut down.. Have to hold the power button to shut it down.. It seems to sleep okay.. but, when I click on shut down it simply restarts (actually crashes. not a true restart).. Running minimal apps .. just dropbox, 1password and apple apps.. I did put the Mac into Safe Mode and checked for possible incompatible Login items on Startup: Instructions here

Once in Safe Mode the Mac would shut down properly. I then started up Mac normally. Same problem. Unable to Shut Down. Mac just crashes.

If you hear of a solution please pass it on. thanks.

used my screen sharing between the macs and went to FULL screen . can't get out of FULL screen mode.. any suggestions?

Cord Cutter
MrLex on Twitter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2012, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 03:53 AM by MrLex.)
RE: Mountain Lion 10.8 not shutting down
I have disconnected all my peripheral hardware thinking that might be the problem. I disconnected my external HD used for Time Machine, disconnected my HP Scanner and HP Printer even my LogiTech USB Camera used for FaceTime. Did not make a difference. Mountain Lion 10.8 will NOT shut down properly it just restarts (crashes) every time. MUST depress and hold the "power on" button to shut down.

Could it be possibly an App on Startup? I closed all Apps on startup with the exception of iTunes Helper. Did NOT make a difference. Gotta be a bug in OS X 10.8

more: I rebooted into Safe Mode once again. This time it would not shut down properly and again did a restart (crash). It had once shut down properly after booting into Safe Mode.

I Keep thinking it may be an App so I went into Security and Privacy and checked Mac App Store. No help.

Oh, and I also lost my desktop wall paper for some reason. Went to blue screen. I had earlier downloaded a photo did a right click and used it as desktop background. I then deleted the photo. This time I'll keep the photo in a folder.

Cord Cutter
MrLex on Twitter
07-30-2012, 06:37 AM
MrLex, define what you meant by "clean install". Describe the process you used. That's now a non-standard installation and you may have missed a step or something may have gone wrong with the process.

Some people can read War and Peace and think that it's just another novel. Others can read the ingredients off of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. - Lex Luthor; Superman The Movie 1977 ( Script Date )
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Try this:

In finder press cmd+shift+g or select Go->Go to Folder from the bar and type:

~/Library/Preferences/

Then delete those two files:

com.apple.dock.plist
com.apple.dock.db

After that open terminal and type:

sudo reboot /w

Then enter your password. That should fix it. However your dock will be reset. Smile
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 03:52 PM by MrLex.)
(07-30-2012 06:37 AM)Dolphbucs Wrote:  MrLex, define what you meant by "clean install". Describe the process you used. That's now a non-standard installation and you may have missed a step or something may have gone wrong with the process.

Sure. I first did the "upgrade". Found this unacceptable because of the above mentioned issue. So, I held down the option key during a restart and selected the Recovery-10.8. Went to Disk Utility and Erased the Macintosh HD and did a "Clean" install of 10.8 using the Recovery-10.8

Cord Cutter
MrLex on Twitter
07-30-2012, 06:12 PM
(07-30-2012 01:08 PM)nihilvex Wrote:  Try this:

~/Library/Preferences/

com.apple.dock.plist
com.apple.dock.db

sudo reboot /w

Then enter your password. That should fix it. However your dock will be reset. Smile

First: when I delete or drag to the trash com.apple.dock.plist it auto populates with another one.

Second: There is no or I'm unable to locate com.apple.dock.db

Cord Cutter
MrLex on Twitter
07-31-2012, 06:34 AM
(07-30-2012 03:45 PM)MrLex Wrote:  
(07-30-2012 06:37 AM)Dolphbucs Wrote:  MrLex, define what you meant by "clean install". Describe the process you used. That's now a non-standard installation and you may have missed a step or something may have gone wrong with the process.

Sure. I first did the "upgrade". Found this unacceptable because of the above mentioned issue. So, I held down the option key during a restart and selected the Recovery-10.8. Went to Disk Utility and Erased the Macintosh HD and did a "Clean" install of 10.8 using the Recovery-10.8

OK. That is not really a "clean" Install. That is a "recovery" install. It still should have worked, but I suspect something glitched during that install process There could even be something wrong with the Recovery Partition.

A true "clean" install means to wipe the entire HD ( including the recovery partition ). This is done by creating an install USB drive or DVD ( much like the old DVD install discs we used to buy for previous versions ) booting to that and setting up the entire HD from scratch ( including a new Recovery Partition ). Below is a link from mashable that describes the process.

http://mashable.com/2012/07/26/mountain-...n-install/

Some people can read War and Peace and think that it's just another novel. Others can read the ingredients off of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. - Lex Luthor; Superman The Movie 1977 ( Script Date )
08-01-2012, 07:20 PM
(07-30-2012 01:08 PM)nihilvex Wrote:  Try this:

~/Library/Preferences/

com.apple.dock.plist
com.apple.dock.db

sudo reboot /w

I followed your instructions on the one file that was there: com.apple.dock.plist log in on my administrator account... Yes, it did reset my Admin dock but did not resolve the issue. I do thank you for the suggestion.

Cord Cutter
MrLex on Twitter
08-02-2012, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 05:54 PM by MrLex.)
Reached out to Apple Support for Help:
Case Details
reset the SMC: Failed to fix issue
Safe Boot: Failed to fix issue
reset the parameter random access memory (PRAM) and nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM): Failed to fix issue

With a camping nylon adjustable strap I made my Early 2008 Mac Pro Desktop into a "Mac" 42.4 lb. suitcase and lugged it into the Apple Store this morning for diagnostics. BOTTOM LINE: Apple OS X 10.8 aka Mountain Lion does NOT support my SSD. That would be a 120GB OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD

What are the chances/odds that Apple OS X 10.8.1 WILL support this SSDHuh IF there are any Apple Employees/Engineers/Programers, please hear my plead...

From this point on, I will not be shutting down my Early 2008 Mac Pro Desktop. Mountain Lion will be put to sleep only.

I am running the SAME SSD in Bay4 as Bootcamp for Windows 7 Home Premium. THAT SSD SHUTS DOWN PERFECTLY.. What kind of Big Cat would fully support a Microsoft OS and NOT fully support OS X?

Cord Cutter
MrLex on Twitter
08-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Contact OWC. They say it is supported.
Quote:Compatibility Notes: This OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD is performance certified for use with all Macs and PCs equipped with SATA Revisions 3.0, 2.0, and 1.0 interfaces (SATA 6Gb/s, 3Gb/s & 1.5Gb/s)…

Randy Walker
http://randywalker.net/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user