Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hide preview pane Windows 7 live mail
08-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Sad Hide preview pane Windows 7 live mail
Angry I just brought home a laptop that has Windows 7 and found they are making me use their stupid Windows Live Mail instead of my Earthlink Total Access window.

Huh I have looked and looked, and cannot find the way to turn off the preview pane. Rolleyes Of course, throwing my laptop out the window would eliminate the preview pane, but then I would be without a computer.

Alas Sad

Any help would be appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2010, 08:26 PM
RE: Hide preview pane Windows 7 live mail
Perhaps this will do the trick.....enable / disable preview pane...

"Computers are nothing more then toasters with an I.Q."
08-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Holding down the ALT key from within Live Mail throws up the menu like you're used to in Outlook Express.
08-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I gather that TotalAccess was just client software you installed when you signed up for EarthLink, or was installed on your previous computer and you used to sign up for EarthLink. This would explain why it isn't on your new laptop, and the default Windows Live Mail is of course offered by Windows when you want to set up email.

If you want a more secure, more customizable mail program where you KNOW you can close the preview pane easily, there's Thunderbird.

Experience in Windows 3.1 through XP, Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.5
Occasionaly use Linux Knoppix, Slax, and Ubuntu, and Solaris 10 x86
Computer use is like brain surgery, 'sort of' and 'almost' are exactly wrong.
08-08-2010, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2010 08:14 AM by angelscrest.)
Yes and no. I contacted Earthlink, and Total Access can't be used on Windows 7. I HATE Window Live Mail so far and am really mad that I don't have an alternative except for WebMail, which is not wonderful either.

However, my question was about how to hide the preview pane in Windows Live. If I could do that, the program would suck less
(08-07-2010 08:26 PM)Aerial9 Wrote:  Perhaps this will do the trick.....enable / disable preview pane...

Smile Thanks! That actually worked, though I would never have been able to find it intuitively. I can resist the impulse to load XP on this thing! At least for now... ^_^